What is the Traffic Task Force?
The Roosevelt Traffic Task Force, formed in 2004, is a volunteer group of parents who:
- Assist children out of vehicles at the Vinton Street driveway during the morning drop-off period, from about 8:00 am to 8:15 am.
- Assist children out of vehicles on Brunswick Park (on the right hand curb between the parking lot driveways) from about 8:00 am to 8:15 am.
- Help prevent unauthorized parking and drop-off in the Brunswick Park parking lot during both the morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up period.
- Encourage safe behavior, i.e. reminding children and parents to use crosswalks and sidewalks.
Note that because the Task Force members are not official crossing guards, they cannot stop traffic on a public street or help anyone across the street. They can, however, help guide children on school property by reminding them to use designated walkways/sidewalks.
At this time, the Task Force is comprised of about fifteen parent volunteers but we need more volunteers! Our current members volunteer anywhere from once a month to twice a week – whatever time you could donate would be helpful. We develop a monthly Task Force “shift” schedule that incorporates everyone’s individual availability. Our shifts are short! We are looking to have the morning shifts on Vinton Street and Brunswick Park is from 8:00 AM to 8:15 AM and the afternoon shift on Brunswick Park is from about 2:00 to 2:22.
If you are interested in volunteering for the Task Force, or have any questions about this effort, contact Anne Carlson Moore at 781-665-0375 or via email at [email protected]
Students arrive at and depart from the Roosevelt School by many different modes of transportation – car, bus, van, and walking. It should be everyone’s goal to keep our students safe and reduce the conflicts between vehicles and pedestrians. Please familiarize yourself with the following guidelines – which focus on vehicle travel to the school – and share them with others who may transport your student. When you can, leave your vehicle at home and take a nice walk to and from school!
Morning Drop Off
Morning drop-off at the Vinton Street driveway
- Typically, two Traffic Task Force volunteers will be on duty each morning between 8:00 am and 8:15 am to help students out of vehicles. (Volunteers do not escort children to the school building but there are staff members on duty that monitor students in the Vinton Street lobby area.
- Drivers should turn into the driveway and proceed slowly along the driveway as directed by the Task Force volunteer. The volunteers open the right hand side vehicle doors and assist students out of the vehicles. Having your student sit on the right hand side of the vehicle helps speed up the process. If your child opens the door him- or herself, ask them to wait until you have stopped the car.
- To expedite traffic flow along Vinton Street, drivers must turn right when exiting the driveway. Please adhere to this rule.
- Students dropped off at this driveway will enter the school via the Vinton Street school door.
- Starting September 2nd: Until the Vinton Street door is opened each morning (at 8:05 AM), students will wait outside on the covered vestibule. Once the door is opened, students wait inside the building (with staff supervision) and then proceed to their classrooms when the bell rings.
- Any full-day student may use this drop-off driveway. Drivers should remain in vehicle.
- Drivers may not stop in the street to drop-off their child. Use the drop-off driveway.
- At 8:15 AM, the Vinton Street doors are closed and locked. If you arrive at the Vinton driveway after 8:15 AM, your tardy child must enter the school via the main school entrance on Brunswick Park.
- No Parking along Vinton on the side opposite the school during drop-off and pick-up times.
Morning drop-off at the Brunswick Park curb
- The official drop-off area on Brunswick Park is the right hand curb between the two parking lot driveways. When using this curb, pull up as far as possible so other vehicles can pull in behind you.
- Typically, one Traffic Task Force volunteer will be on duty between 8:00 am and 8:15 am to assist students out of their vehicles. The drop-off operation at this curb is more “casual” than Vinton Street in that the driver does not need to wait in a single queue, but can pull alongside the available curb in the drop-off area. Having your child sit on the right hand side of the vehicle helps speed up the drop-off process. (Volunteers do not escort children to the school building.)
- Use the official drop-off area between the two parking lot driveways rather than stopping prior to the crossing guard.
- Any student in grades Kindergarten through 5th may use this drop-off area
- Students then walk on the sidewalk to the school building. Students do need to cross one of the two parking lot driveways. One driveway is monitored by the crossing guard and may be the safer choice for younger students. Students should use the sidewalks and not cut through the parking lot.
- Drivers should remain in vehicle.
- No parking is allowed along the entire right curb of Brunswick Park between 7:00 am and 10:00 am.
- Weather permitting, students wait outside the school building until the 8:10 am bell. On inclement mornings, students proceed directly into the cafeteria.
- If you want to escort your child to the building, you must park along the left curb of Brunswick Park or on another nearby street.
The school dismissal bell rings at 2:22 pm. During the first week of school, all students will be dismissed on the Brunswick Park side of the school building. Starting on Tuesday, September 2nd continuing through the year, students will be able to exit via either the Vinton Street doors or Brunswick Park doors. A signed permission slip is required to use the Vinton exit. Note that parking is allowed along both sides on Brunswick Park in the afternoon. Remember, however, that drivers are not allowed into the parking lot unless they are staff, authorized users of handicapped spaces, or the designated auction winning parker. Please obey parking signs, pull up close to the vehicle in front of you, and not block our neighbors’ driveways.
Parking Rules & Safety Guidelines
- The school parking lot is for staff members only. No one other than staff should park in the parking lot (vehicles with handicapped stickers/plates are allowed). The parking spaces signed for visitors are not for parents to use for pick-up and drop-off. The visitor spaces are for official visitors, such as an invited guest at a school assembly. This rule was enacted because staff members sometimes cannot find a parking space. The one exception is the one space designated signed for the monthly auction winner. This space was donated to the PTO and its monthly use is won by the highest bidder at the Roosevelt Auction held in the spring. Only the designated auction winner can use this space.
- No drop-off/pick-up activity should occur in the school parking lot. The parking lot is for staff members, school vans and official visitors. The parking lot is not a drop-off area. Curbside drop-off in the parking lot is prohibited. If you need to drop off your child, do so on the Brunswick Park curb or at the Vinton Street drop-off driveway. If you need to escort your child to the building, you must find parking on the street. This rule was enacted to reduce conflicts between vehicles and pedestrians.
- During the morning drop-off, parking only on the left side of Brunswick Park is permitted. Between 7:00 am and 10:00 AM, parking along the right curb of Brunswick Park is prohibited. If you need to escort your child to the school building, park on either the left side of Brunswick Park or another near-by street.
- Do not park in the Vinton Street drop-off driveway. When using the Vinton Street drop-off driveway, do not park your vehicle, unless you are assisting a handicapped student. If you need to escort your child to the school building, park legally on the street and walk to the school building.
- Do not park on the opposite side of Vinton Street during drop-off and pick-up times.
- When parking along the streets near the school, be sure and pull up close to the vehicle in front of you. It helps to maximize the number of vehicles that can park along the street!
- If you and your child are late, do not drive your vehicle into the parking lot. Students who arrive at school after 8:15 am are late. Tardy students must enter the school via the Brunswick Park doors. Do not enter the parking lot to drop-off your tardy child at the front door. Either drop them off along Brunswick Park or, if you need to escort your child to the school building, find legal parking along the left curb of Brunswick Park.
- Always use sidewalks and crosswalks. Do not walk through the school parking lot – it can be dangerous. At the Vinton Street entrance, use sidewalks and do not cut across the drop-off driveway. Where available, always use the nearest crosswalk and do not cross in the middle of the street. In school, our students are taught to use the sidewalks and crosswalks and we should all set a good example.
- As always, please keep your car clear of any intersections, crosswalks, and residential driveways.
TRAFFIC SUPERVISORS POSTS 2014-2015 SCHOOL YEAR
FRANKLIN STREET @ VINTON STREET 7:35 am to 8:10 am
FRANKLIN STREET @ TREMONT STREET 7:35 am to 8:10 am
TREMONT STREET @ MELROSE STREET 7:35 am to 8:10 am
WEST EMERSON STREET @ TREMONT STREET 7:35 am to 8:10
BRUNSWICK PARK @ ROOSEVELT SCHOOL 7:40 am to 8:25
WARWICK ROAD @ VINTON STREET 7:35 am to 8:10 am
WEST EMERSON STREET @ VINTON STREET 7:35 am to 8:10 am
If you need this document translated, please call your child’s school principal.
Si necesita este documento traducido, por favor comuníquese con la escuela de su hijo.
Se você precisa este documento traduzido, entre em contato com a escola do seu filho.
Si vous avez besoin de traduire ce document, s’il vous plaît contacter l’école de votre enfant.
،إذا كنت تحتاج /تحتاجين إلى ترجمة هذه الوثيقة إلى اللغة العربية
.يرجى الاتصال بمدرسة طفلك/طفلتك